Always Making Something

Zombies in the Nursery

Zombies in the Nursery

Followers

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

OH FOR CRY'N PETE!!

Most people look at me strangely when I say that Fraze.  My whole family used it the growing up and my daughter in law and my sisters all say it.  We all grew up in the Mid West may be it is a term that is more commonly used in that part of the country. When we lived in North Dakota Minot more specifically, the people said" Oh for cute or Oh for Funny, Uffta and don't ya know"  Anyway that is not at all what This Post is about, So I will get right to it.

Sitting on the back patio at dusk Sunday evening suddenly there was a lot of scurrying about the lower yard and the chicken coop. The girls had all ready put themseves to roost for the night.  We stood up and took a closer look and EWW, YUCK RATS!! I have never seen a rat in my 59 years even on the farm in North Dakota or when we had a barn and horses in West Point near the Great Salt Lake. Never, never, never ever.  I was almost weak in the knees. Now we live right in the center of town. Hubby got out the BB gun that the boys must have had growing up. That was a disaster almost like "The Christmas Story".  The shot gun would have gotten him arrested. although our son killed a raccoon on the front porch when we lived in WP right by the lake. Not a neighbor noticed.  A 38 cal Ah NO! might kill someone in the next neighborhood. This is where it comes in "Oh for cry'n Pete"  What next.  So I made an executive decision.  Here goes. We had been talking about replacing the Hens because they were almost 3 and not laying very well, and hubby wanted to re construct the coop.  So we bought an air rifle and gave the hens to a friend that just wanted to enjoy them.
Tonight my hubby went all "Si Robertson" on us. He was out laying on the patio that is about 2ft off the ground, with the night vision scope waiting for the rodent dance to begin. Now I always tease him and tell him he is a perpetual 12 yr old.  Well He Is!  running around the yard trying to see what the best angle would be. BUT when he said he was going on the roof to shoot rats down the yard all I could see was a SWAT Truck out in front of the house with men in black and big florescent Yellow letters on their backs, vests and helmets and Automatic weapons.   I took the gun away.
I let his adrenalin drain while eating a sugar free Popsicle, orange not red.  Then we made another plan. Tomorrow we will fill the holes with rat pellets and steel wool.   Oh and no more playing Army in the yard with a high power air gun.

No comments:

Post a Comment